Monday, April 26, 2010

The Destruction of the Plan I Had

(copied from my family's blog)

Hello friends and family. Let me tell you about my weekend:

First I got an email telling me that my chances of simply getting an interview for the wonderful, splendid Americorp program I wanted to be in are slim to none, emphasis on the none. Then my car was towed and it cost me $150 (that I don’t really have) to get it back. Those are the two really bad parts of the weekend, but they were accented marvelously by my rather depressing realization that my life in Minnesota right now is not conducive to the creation or continuation of a respectable, beautiful, upright Holly Peterson. This was coupled with a similar realization that leaving Minnesota for the summer is becoming less likely, so my Washingtonian escape plan is no longer as viable an option. (At this moment I don’t know if those realizations are true, or simply my overactive imagination trying really hard to make it seem even worse that I don’t get to do what I wanted to do with my summer.)

Really, I just wish that Americorp could have told me they weren’t interested in me ONE week earlier, because then I would have auditioned for Shakespeare and Co. (a Shakespearian summer theater production that is done OUTSIDE), and provided my audition went well, I could be spending the summer doing outdoorsy theater. That would have been fricking awesome. Suffice it to say that my summer has been destroyed because I stupidly had no back-up plan to the Americorp thing and it’s a little late to have super great options available to me anymore. I’m looking, I’m looking.

I’m thinking of working in a cannery in Alaska, but I wanted to spend my summer outside and honestly I probably don’t have enough money to get up to Alaska to begin with. Perhaps more hitch hiking is in order? Poll that won’t be answered because no one comments on this blog: how long do you think it would take to hitchhike to AK? I would probably have to take a ferry from WA to either AK or somewhere in Canada, because last time I tried hitching over the border it did not go over so well. I was barred from entering the country and I’d rather that that didn’t happen again. It’s kind of embarrassing to not be allowed into a country.

Anyway, if anyone has suggestions as to what I can do with my newly freed up summer, I would appreciate it. Ideally, I would be doing something outside and hands-on, but it’s late enough now that I would take whatever I could get. If you know somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody…I’ll go anywhere and do (almost) anything. Hook a Holly up?

1 comment:

  1. I know some of the oil pumping companies down here in Louisiana are hiring....

    ReplyDelete