Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Sleep is for the weak.

Sleep is one of my favorite things in the entire world. I have a habit of sleeping too much, because I have epic dreams that I enjoy participating in. Being in a world where violence of epic proportions is acceptable, painless, and generally non-fatal is pretty fricking sweet. Everything is technicolor and simple and accessible and controllable. Interpreting dreams is one of my favorite past-times, not because I think dreams themselves can tell us anything, but because I think that what we think our dreams are trying to tell us is incredibly indicative of what's actually going down in us. Never would I ever seriously ask someone to interpret one of my dreams for me, because I would get an interpretation of their inner-state instead of mine. Once upon a time I wrote down a dream and coupled it with an interpretation. About a year later I stumbled across the dream and started interpreting it before I got to my old interpretation. They were black and white different. Try the same yourself. I can tell you for shizzley that your interpretations will not match unless you do not change as a person, in which case...I'm sorry.


RAMBLING.


POINT: I don't just love sleep because I love dreaming or because it is invigorating or because it's healthy...I love sleep because of what happens when you DON'T. I think it's cool that there's a dude who has gone 35 years without sleeping. Not sleeping kills some people, but he makes it work. I dug The Machinist as much as the next gal and I fricking love the questions it raises. How badly do we need sleep, really? What brings on sleep deprivation? If we don't sleep will dreams start to overwrite reality? Someone once told me that everything that people feel via drug use can also be achieved through sleep deprivation. I don't have a source for that one. HEARSAY.


We can go about this experiment however we want. If you want to overload yourself with caffeine, do it. If you want to pinch yourself whenever your eyes start to get heavy, sweet. If you want to hire someone to follow you with a horn (me! I need another job, yo), perfect. I'm going to go the natural route. I'm going to eat as natural of foods as I can, with as few preservatives and caffeine and unnaturally occurring sugars as is humanly possible in this day and age. A website just told me that people die from sleep deprivation. The record is 11 days. I don't plan on hitting that because spring break is only a week. Regardless, if you feel on the cusp of death, hit the sack. Holly will not be responsible for your untimely, sleepless demise. But I'm going to see how far I can push myself and you're invited to join. I will be starting on Friday.


Sleep is for the weak. Shun it with me.

3 comments:

  1. see, ive been an insomniac for years. my record for no sleep is 9 days. after that i couldnt get enough sleep for about a week... but then it all reverted to insomnia...

    its enjoyable for a while, but its maddening at times. i will say that i get a lot more done than msot people in a given day. but that could be because i have more hours to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/4/15/103358/720

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did all this. 7 days without sleep is my record. I am still pretty good at sleep dep if I need to be. But honestly, I have learned to hate it.

    And I think it has made me a tinge crazy.

    -elgaberino

    ReplyDelete